Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Review: Night Serum (Bobbi Brown vs Estee Lauder vs Kiehls)

Different skin types have different reactions to products. I had found out that what works for me may not work for my sister. It is still best to try out skin care products for yourself.  

*Trial/Sample sizes for all three.

Bobbi Brown:

Bobbi Brown Extra Repair Serum.
Ingredients (from their site):
  • Wheat, Bran & Olive Extract Complex is included to help strengthen skin’s natural barrier, improve its ability to lock in moisture and prevent future damage.
  • Vitamin C and a powerful peptide are included to help soften the look of lines and wrinkles while firming skin.
  • Clary sage extract encourages skin cell turnover and sweeps away dull surface cells to reveal a fresh, radiant surface.
  • Magnolia bark extract, sucrose and caffeine help reduce visible redness caused by irritation.
  • Sodium hyaluronate, glycerin and meadowfoam seed oil infuse skin with moisture—instantly and over time.
Pros: 
Packaging: I find Bobbi Brown best in packaging (although keep in mind that I'm only comparing samples). The pump is economical in not wasting any drops. 
Smell: Not too strong, a hint of citrus that comes from the Vitamin C ingredient.
Consistency: white and milky, skin can absorb it well
Works best with dry skin (according to the reviews I found online)


Cons: 
Price: At PHP 6,000 per 30ml bottle, this is actually the most expensive among the three.  
Since I have oily skin, I didn't see any difference after using it for a week.
Mildly stings (mahapdi), causes redness when I apply this on the face

Conclusion:  I didn't see any difference after using it for a week. Maybe not the best skin care for my skin type. 

Estee Lauder:
Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair
Ingredients (from their site):

Exclusive Chronolux™ Technology repairs the appearance of past damage. You'll see a visible improvement in the signs of aging-specifically lines, uneven skintone and immediate hydration.

Enhanced Environmental Repair means Advanced Night Repair neutralizes up to 90% of environmentally generated free radicals (in vitro testing) before they can affect skin's appearance.

Enjoy Continuous Hydration as Advanced Night Repair creates the optimal environment for repair with nature's long-proven moisture magnet, Hyaluronic Acid-increasing skin's levels of moisturization dramatically.

Pros:
Consistency: A bit sticky but loses that feeling after a few minutes. Very light, skin absorbs it quickly. 
Lightens up scars and heals pimples faster.
Skin feels smoother after the 2nd application.  Gives a glowing effect.


Cons: 
Packaging: The EL team gives out sample sachets and bottles with large openings which are not the ideal packaging for liquids.
Price: Not that cheap, PHP 4800 for 50ml (although someone said that it will last you three months).
Also mildly stings (mahapdi), causes redness the first few seconds when I apply this on the face 
Smell: Has the strongest smell among the three.   

Conclusion: I love ANR. In my opinion, it is the most effective among the three. No breakouts and it gives me the smoothest skin. I can overlook the price because when you think about it, it actually only costs you PHP 50 a day to take care of your skin's future. (Although, I am still at a lookout for a product that will not sting/burn my face.)

My full review for this product is here 

Kiehl's
Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate
Ingredients: (from the site)

Enriched with a blend of naturally derived ingredients including Squalane, Evening Primrose Oil, Omega-6 Fatty Acids and Essential Oils including Lavender, our formula provides a boost of intensive moisture to dehydrated skin. Our concentrate instantly penetrates the skin and is designed to work at night; with skin hydrated, supple and soft, rest assured you can say goodnight to a tired-looking complexion. 99.8% Naturally Derived Ingredients, Paraben-Free, Recyclable glass bottle, dropper and plastic squeeze top in a protective 100% recycled board carton.

Pros:
Price: Cheapest among the three, PHP 2880 for 30 ml. And can last longer than the others since will only need 2 drops per night. 
Smell: Has a lavender scent (because of the ingredient), therapeutic.
Since it uses natural ingredients, it did not sting nor cause redness at all. 
Skin felt hydrated and moisturize the following day. 

Cons:
Packaging: The bottle will no longer close once you open it. So I had to be extra careful not to let it fall on the side and lose all content. 
Caused me breakouts. One pimple popped out on a daily basis when I was trying this out.
Consistency: Since it is oil (not serum), very oily upon application. 

Conclusion: I would have stayed with this product since among the three, my skin didn't sting upon application. But since I have an oily-face, I think it didn't help that I'm applying oil on it. A pimple popped out on a daily basis. Ergo, I had to stop after a week.




1 comment: